In his last major talk, Dr. Bob made several points clear (See The Co-Founders of Alcoholics Anonymous: Biographical Sketches Their Last Major Talks, pages 12-14
1. Dr. Bob: I didn't write the 12 Steps
2. Dr. Bob: I had nothing to do with the writing of the Steps
3. The writing of the Steps did not begin until 1938
4. Dr. Bob: Convinced that the studies, teachings, and efforts that had been going on in the Smith home with Wilson and others must have influenced the Steps.
5. These studies teachings and efforts had been in progress since the founding of A.A. in 1935
5 . Dr. Bob: We already had the basic ideas. We got them from the efforts from 1935-1938
6. Dr. Bob: We got them as a result of our study of the Good Book [Bible]