Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thankful for my first reply to my question: Worthwhile?


Dear R... [name deleted out of respect] What a great great letter showing how much pain we suffer because we rely only on A.A. and the higher power nonsense. On the other hand, some of us like myself have been in so much pain and are in so much pain when we enter A.A.  that it’s a miracle that we do reach out to A.A.--however mistaken our initial impressions may be. I saw God as we understood Him on the wall. I thought, “I understand Him.” “This is the place for me.” Then I started hearing about higher powers and went with the flow and still suffered—never taking a drink or a sleeping pill. Then I started hearing your higher power could be a rock. I showed that nonsense to a group of newcomers at my former treatment center and was given the boot for talking about God.





About that time I woke up for good.





At eight months of sobriety, I turned to God for relief from my fear, shame, anxiety, remorse, and befuddled mind. But I also kept looking for newcomers even in the VA nut house and helped them. I started asking God whom to help. I worked with newcomers in my prison and jail time. And finally, that part of the wreckage of the past was past history. Then I learned that A.A. came from the Bible and learned the truth. It had come from the Bible. It oozed with Christians in Akron. It worked! Not because of a “power greater then themselves,” but because of the power of God.





From that point on, and perhaps even before, I became determined to unearth the real truth about early A.A. And I have—21 years of truth revealed. And now we have thousands of Christians who are putting God before A.A. but still helping others in A.A. And helping them to “establish a relationship with God” if they choose. Sadly, many of these even think “God” is their “higher power” or that “Jesus” is their higher power. They sell it in the churches. They sell it in their recovery fellowships. And they have often lost touch with the fact that many in A.A. could and should be brought to the “highest” power”—properly called Yahweh, the Creator, and to His Son Jesus Christ, and to the Bible which—as Dr. Bob suggested—contains the answers to all their problems.





Nowadays, a few resentful, jealous, uninformed “historians” and “scholars” and A.A. zealots and even “sincere” Christians are calling me an amateur, a hobbyist, a Jesus freak an AA on his way to hell because he dares to touch the lepers. Contrast with that baloney the fact that one great person like you took the timer to tell the story, and it’s all worthwhile.





At the end of the trail (really the beginning), Jesus was crucified and saw Peter deny him. And look what Jesus did for the world and with Peter once God raised Jesus from thedead.





At the end of the trail (really the beginning), Paul said all Asia had turned against him and even noticed a few stinkers in his camp. And yet he probably did more to spread the gospel of salvation and truth than any Christian who has walked the earth.





Was it worthwhile? You know the answer. There are also a few facts to be learned about those who choose to concoct false gods, worship them, do their bidding, and lambaste Christians. What happens to them if they miss the boat? You know the answer.





May God bless you in your walk and the courage with which you speak. And may God bless you for brightening my day today.










Dick B.


Author, 42 titles & over 650 articles on A.A. History and the Christian Recovery Movement










(808) 874-4876


PO Box 837, Kihei, HI 96753-0837





Ps 118:17 (NJB):
I shall not die, I shall live to recount the great deeds of Yahweh.





Facebook: DickBmauihistorian









From: Subject: Re: Dick B.'s FYI Messages: Is It Worthwhile to Help an A.A. Newcomer? Try it and smile!



Hi Dick,



Really appreciate your service and take on the power of A.A. for newcomers!



However, sad to say that I've struggled with the wording in the third step regarding

"Higher Power." Has been very difficult for me to feel like I have to compromise

with unbelievers...e.g. when I lived in San Francisco, I spent a lot of time with

quality people in recovery, but they felt contempt for my belief in Christ (they

practiced Transcendental Meditation  two times a day to relieve stress...I tried

it for awhile and it indeed reduced my stress level, but eventually I became

uncomfortable taking part in this practice as it didn't seem to me that it was conducive

to worshipping Christ in an appropriate fashion.



I've been tormented about the "Higher Power" concept for 25 years...was sober 14 years as a result of

A.A introducing me to the concept of a Higher Power, but wound up relapsing as a result of ignoring God and

becoming too busy at work and school. I am sober now, but I have not healed from the pain of the first

relapse. It was horrible for me to go back to A.A. and stand up as a newcomer again. I know, my pride and

ego has nearly killed me. But this has been my experience...the relapse issue has manifested itself within

me like a constant huge gaping wound. Frankly, it would be easier for me to immerse myself in "church culture"

and not have to be constantly reminded of my initial relapse!



 Without A.A. I probably would not have ultimately accepted Christ as my personal Lord and Savior! Also, C.S. Lewis's

"Mere Christianity" has given me tremendous comfort over the years. So I must give A.A credit for

leading me to Christ. Praise the Lord!



Would you say that A.A. is a tremendous springboard for many who will ultimately find Christ? And could

I view this issue like Paul did in Athens where he debated with unbelievers about Christ...yet he went out

of his way to behave in a "like minded" way in order to be well received by people who held different beliefs.



Frankly, I become tired of hearing so much opposition to Christianity in A.A. and feel guilty

when I feel like I must be supportive of multiple higher powers! It doesn't feel good to me to

condone other recovering people's practice of "New Age" type religions when the Bible clearly states that

believing in Christ is the only way to salvation.



Wish I wasn't such a tortured soul! LOL

Dick, I know that you are a very busy man and I sincerely appreciate your hard work

in educating A.A. members about the history of Dr. Bob and wife Anne's contribution

to the development of A.A. in a Christian context...and, of course, your take on the full

history of A.A. in general.



Thank you so much for giving me so much comfort!! Have deep respect for you and I'll bet

your ranch in Maui is fabulous! What a beautiful life you have!



If you ever have the time, (know you are bombarded with work under Christ) write me a short

email regarding your take on the third step etc.



Love you brother in the Lord! :):)

R

No comments: