Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fear - the enemy of the recovering alcoholic

Not only the Bible, but also the words of Bill Wilson in the Big Book, make clear that "fear" is sand in the machinery of life--a tool of the devil to replace the believing of God's Word with anxiety, doubt, guilt, shame, and all the rest. That is one reason why the Fourth Step in A.A. calls for making a "fear" list in one's inventory.

Here are some verses from the "Good Book" that make God's view quite clear:

Psa 34:4 (KJV): I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

Prov 29:25 (KJV): The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

John 14:27 (KJV): Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Phil 4:6 (ESV): do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Phil 4:7 (ASV): And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

2 Tim 1:7 (KJV): For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1 John 4:18 (KJV): There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

No comments: